It is a sport that was widely practiced in ancient Greece. It has been part of the modern-day Olympics games program since 1908 for men and 1932 for women.
TECHNIQUES OF JAVELIN THROW:
The technique of throw is divided into various parts;
1. GRIP AND CARRY
2. APPROACH RUN
3. 5 STRIDE RHYTHM
Before performing javelin throw we need to perform some exercises:
1. Hold the javelin, split your leg do up and down and then move the javelin back and front.
2. Perform the task figure of 8 by holding the javelin.
3. Forward and backward bending.
4. side bending by holding the javelin on shoulder and hand.
5. Now perform twisting.
6. Place the javelin on the ground and make an arc by pulling up your body and go down. Perform this task from behind also.
IN THE SEQUENCE OF THE SPECIFIC EXERCISE LET’S TALK ABOUT GRIP.
Type of Grip:
1. Pen hold or American grip
Hold the cord of the javelin like a pen and take up in the air and put it in a horizontal position, tilt it
from backside slightly above your head and elbow should face in the direction of the throw.
2 . V grip :
Make v alphabet from middle and index finger and hold the cord of the javelin.
3. Finnish grip:
Take your index finger along the shaft of the javelin and hold it from where the cord starts.
Now as we have learned to hold the javelin, how to grip, and Carry then we will move further to a specific exercise.
1. Pegging :
Hold the javelin peg / throw it on the ground, it is an important exercise as the distance traveled by the javelin is measured after it is pegged on the ground, i.e the metal head of the javelin should touch the ground.
2. Pegging from power position:
Hold the javelin above head in horizontal position then shift your leg back and peg the javelin and after the throw shift your right leg ahead.
3. Standing throw from power position:
Put left foot in the throwing direction, right leg sideward, put right leg toe in the line of the left leg and hold the javelin with metal head tilt upward and then throw.
Now let’s see the actual technique of throw which is most important to learn.
Approach run :
Take the javelin in a horizontal position above the head and take few steps back after that run towards the restraining line which is 7cm wide.
Now, 5 STRIDE RHYTHM
This includes withdrawal, cross step, power position, release, and reverse.
After the approach run when your right leg will reach the checkpoint then we have to start 5 STRIDE RHYTHM.
1. Put your left leg front and javelin hand bit backward.
2. Move forward
3. Full withdrawal of javelin
4. Now take a Cross step or impulse stride, then come in a power position and release your javelin, and reverse.
These are the best techniques to perform your JAVELIN THROW accurately.